If you’re looking for a new way to smoke tobacco or cannabis, water pipes are a time-tested method. On the other hand, there are dozens of options at different price points. Should you spring for the art glass collectible piece, or can you get away with something less exotic? Here are some different factors to consider when choosing the best water pipe in Rutland, VT:
- What will you be smoking? Depending on whether you’re smoking herbs or concentrates, your water pipe selection will be different. Typically, tobacco pipes come with a female joint and a male jointed bowl, while water pipes for concentrates have the opposite configuration. However, there are accessories to convert water pipes for different uses. Decide what you’ll be smoking most often, and then choose the type of pipe that works with that substance.
- Which shape should you choose? Water pipes and bubblers come in a variety of shapes and sizes. The most common types are straight tubes and beakers, which have a flared or bubble base. The difference is mostly in how fast they clear—straight tubes clear faster, thanks to less resistance. There are both straight tubes and beakers for concentrates as well as tobacco and herbs, so you can choose whichever shape works best for your needs. (If you’re not sure, ask a friendly staff member for help.)
- What kind of glass thickness and quality is best? You might not think about glass quality when getting a water pipe, but it can make a big difference in your water pipe’s lifespan. There are two main types of glass: soft glass and scientific glass. Soft glass is a cheaper kind of glass, which is more prone to breaking. Pipes made of soft glass tend to shatter and can’t be repaired. Scientific glass is also known as borosilicate glass—it’s the type you might see used in scientific beakers. Some folks confuse quality with thickness, but the two are not equal. For example, a 9mm thick piece of soft glass is still more likely to break than a 5mm piece of scientific glass. Make sure to ask what kind of glass your potential water pipe choices use, and spring for better quality.
- What are your downstem options? The downstem is the part of the pipe that holds the slide, nail or pipe. They’re usually fixed on concentrate pipes, and removable on tobacco pipes. Some pipes are stemless. The type of downstem and percolator you choose can create different smoking effects, so ask a staff member what they recommend for your needs.
- What kind of accessories are available? Finally, find out what kind of accessories are available for your pipe. Splashguards, ash catchers and ice catchers are all popular choices for water pipes.
Now that you know which factors to consider when choosing a water pipe in Rutland, VT, it’s time to take your new knowledge to Emporium Tobacco & Gifts. Stop by or get in touch with us today to learn more or check out our selection.
Let’s say you’ve been using your water pipe for a while now in Rutland, VT, and with great results. It does exactly what it’s supposed to, but now it’s getting a little dirty. Or maybe it’s really dirty—no judgment here! Either way, you need to know how to clean your water pipe. There are a couple different ways to do this, and each method is detailed below.
One key thing to keep in mind with both methods of cleaning your water pipe is that it’s a good idea to clean it regularly so it won’t accumulate too much gunk inside.
The alcohol and salt method
One effective way to clean your water pipe is by using rubbing alcohol and salt. The alcohol will help with removing any sticky residue more so than water, and the salt acts as an abrasive to loosen up any particles and scrape the insides without damaging the glass.
For this method of cleaning your water pipe, you’ll need enough rubbing alcohol to fill the bottom of the chamber. Use 90 percent isopropyl alcohol if possible, as it will be more effective than a 70 percent solution. Also use coarse salt, like kosher salt, for maximum effectiveness.
Start by removing any loose particles from the water pipe. Run hot water through the piece, hold it upside down and tap it, or even use a pipe cleaner or paperclip to dislodge the larger, more stubborn bits. Be gentle with this step. Remember, the alcohol and salt are going to do most of the work.
Now, pour some salt into the bowl and onto the stem of the water pipe. Be sure not to clog the passageway entirely. Next, pour in the rubbing alcohol. Finally, put the bowl back into place and shake the water pipe. Watch as the glass magically goes from dirty to clean!
When finished, rinse the water pipe with warm water. Use a pipe cleaner or Q-tip to get any stuck-on particles or to clean any hard-to-reach places. If it’s still dirty, consider soaking with rubbing alcohol overnight and cleaning again.
The hot water method
If you have a smaller water pipe and a big-enough pot, you can clean it using nothing more than boiling water. The idea behind this method is pretty much the same as the method above, and doesn’t require alcohol or salt.
First, bring a pot of water to a boil. Then, reduce to a simmer and place the water pipe in the pot. Let it soak in the simmering water for about 30 minutes to an hour. Remember when removing the pipe that it will be hot, so take precautions.
When it has cooled off enough to handle, use a pipe cleaner or thin bristle brush to remove residual particles and resin. Cotton swabs would also work in a pinch. Then rinse it out and enjoy your freshly cleaned water pipe.
For more tips on how to clean your water pipe, or to find the best water pipes in Rutland, VT, visit Emporium Tobacco & Gifts today.
It’s never been more tempting to dive into the world of smoking. Thanks to the increasingly widespread legalization of recreational marijuana, countless new smokers are enjoying their first toke. Of course, if you want to make a true habit of smoking, you’ll need to get your own pipe. That begs the eternal question: will you be using a dry pipe or smoking with a water pipe in Rutland, VT?
Here’s how to tell which one is right for you.
One of the first considerations most people have when thinking about their choice of smoking device is how much it will cost. Typically, dry pipes are going to be cheaper than water pipes (also known as bongs), because they tend to be smaller. Given the varying quality of blown glass, however, the cost of a dry pipe can range from about $10 to several hundred for higher-quality, more ornate pieces.
Pro Tip: When choosing a reliable piece, even a dry pipe, don’t be governed entirely by cost. If you’re looking for something that will last, it’s going to cost more.
You’re probably familiar with the incredible variety offered by blown glass pipes, regardless of how big or small they are. If you keep your eyes open, you can find glass pipes blown into shapes both practical and abstract. If you’re perusing a selection of dry pipes, you can typically find wood and metal options, too.
When it comes to smoking with a water pipe in Rutland, VT, it pays to go with glass. Period.
While you should never use a pipe of any kind while in transit, it’s only natural to want to bring your pipe along with you from time to time. When it comes to ease of transportation, smoking dry pipes in Rutland, VT will undoubtedly be preferable to wet pipes. Bongs tend to be larger and rely on fresh water—two factors that conspire to make bongs harder to carry around.
Ease of use
If you’re a novice smoker, the odds are you will find it easier to learn from a dry pipe. The fundamentals of a dry pipe are simple: you pack some marijuana into the bowl, light and inhale. Once you master the carb, you’re good to go.
Water pipes, meanwhile, require more work to operate. They often force you to use one hand for multiple tasks like igniting a lighter and pulling a slide. Bongs are harder to keep clean, too. While those people who prefer water pipes will swear by them, they are undeniably more work.
Your smoking headquarters
It doesn’t matter if you’re smoking with a dry pipe or smoking with a water pipe in Rutland, VT. At Emporium Tobacco & Gifts, we’ve got you covered with a broad assortment of both. We’ve also got a huge supply of hookah pipes, e-cigs, CBD products, vaporizers, cigarettes, cigars and more! If you need it to enjoy your smoking, we’ve got it at Emporium Tobacco & Gifts.
Come find out why people have been flocking to our smoke shop since 1999. We can’t wait to meet you!
If you’re interested in buying your first water pipe in Rutland, VT, it’s important to know about the different options available so you can make a smart choice for your needs and smoking habits.
Water pipes, no matter which type of design you choose, can be made out of a variety of different materials. Glass, acrylic, ceramic, metal and even silicone are popular choices, and some may offer multiple design features like the ones listed below. Ultimately, smoking is a personal experience, and there are plenty of tools to create the kind you crave:
- Straight tube: Straight tube water pipes range from about eight to 24 inches in height, and are comprised of a straight glass tube, often with a percolator, downstem or ice catchers. These are a nice “entry level” water pipe design.
- Beaker base: Beaker base pipes are similar to straight tube pipes, but they have a beaker-shaped bottom that offers more stability. The sturdy base allows makers to build them in taller models, allowing for larger, smoother hits.
- Round base: Round base water pipes are another variation on the straight tube and beaker shape, this time with a flat, round bottom that offers stability and the chance for more height.
- Percolator pipes: Percolator pipes highlight their percolation feature, which cools down and diffuses the smoke before you inhale, making for a smoother smoking experience.
- Multi-chamber: Multiple chambers in these pipes transfer the smoke from chamber to chamber, removing its harshness and cooling it down before you can inhale. This is considered one of the smoothest water pipes around.
- Bubblers: When it comes to water pipes in Rutland, VT, there are none more portable than bubblers. These smaller water pipes offer the smooth smoking experience you get with water, but don’t come with a percolator like many water pipes offer.
- Scientific glass: Scientific glass pipes actually refer to the material it’s made out of, which is of much higher quality than the glass that most water pipes use. They last longer because they don’t react to temperature changes as quickly as other glass.
- Zongs or zig-zag pipes: Zongs have a z-shaped tube design, which cools the smoke further before you inhale and can even function as an ice catcher, enhancing the cooling effect. (Plus, they just look cool.)
- Inline: Inline pipes have multiple inline horizontal percolators, often designed in eye-catching, intricate ways. They offer a superior smooth smoke, but tend to be on the more expensive side.
- Dab rigs: Finally, dab rigs are designed to handle the intense heat generated by smoking dabbing wax concentrates. These are typically reserved for advanced smokers only.
Browse our selection of water pipes in Rutland, VT
Emporium Tobacco & Gifts offers a wide variety of smoking supplies, cigars, hand-rolled tobacco and glass pieces to help you customize your smoking experience. Whether you’re looking to find the perfect water pipe or get accessories for your smoking or vaping needs, we are sure to be able to help. Call us today to learn more about our selection.